[TN-Bird] Re: red-cockaded woodpecker in tennessee

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpnichol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:51:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

I don't work for Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but work in the
area and know the folks involved.  So even though I don't pretend to
be the expert that Chuck Nicholson and Bob Hatcher are, I do have a
little to share here.  There have been no sightings in the park in a
minimum of 5 years (and I believe none since Chuck did the work
mentioned in his email).  I've been in the area mentioned, and the
habitat there is marginal at best.  However the park does continue to
burn when resources and weather allow, so perhaps one day habitat
there will be better - if birds can find it again.

Last year I recieved word of a possible sighting of RCW at a feeder
north of the park.  The gentleman invited me to look for it.  The
habitat there was fairly dense, youngish pine with other stuff mixed
in, and moderate undergrowth - not prime RCW habitat.    The location
of the feeder where he reports 2 or more birds to have visited for
over a week is close enough he had a very good view of whatever birds
visit.  His verbal descriptions and reasons why they were not another
species all seemed sound to me.  However he had no photos, and the
birds stopped coming at least 2 days prior to my arrival.  All the
land in that area is private, and the person who owns the access road
(not the same man who invited me over) does not wish lots of extra
company.

So there is an extremely slight possibility that 2 or more birds have
been in the state as recently as 2005. But I wouldn't hold my
breathe.

Charlie