[TN-Bird] possible Ruff

  • From: Chris Sloan <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 22:15:22 -0500

Scott Somershoe, Ed Schneider and I just completed a big day.  Scott will
post the results later but I wanted to get the word out that we are fairly
confident we had a female Ruff at the Duck River Unit of TN NWR (Humphreys
County).  It was on some mud out in the river on the east side of the
refuge and was extremely distant; distant enough that it was difficult to
make out much detail.  But, as much as we studied it, we couldn't really
come up with anything else it could have been.  It was the right size and
shape with a white rump and yellow legs, was very different from the
abundant nearby yellowlegs, and seemed to have the right bill shape and
overall structure.  Because of the difficulty making out detail at that
distance, we are not calling it a Ruff for certain, but we all are of the
opinion that that is most likely what it was.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com