[TN-Bird] merlin at kingsport

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <rickanddonna98@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:44:43 -0500

I relocated the Merlin in Oak Hill Cemetery, Kingsport, Tennessee this morning
at about 8:50am.  This bird was first seen on February 18 and to my knowledge
had not been seen again since until this morning.  The bird was perched high in
the dead top of a live spruce tree when first seen (both on 2/18 and 2/24).  I
went back to the cemetery at around 11:00am today (Feb 24) and again found the
merlin perched high in a spruce tree.  There was a lot of noise and activity
around the bird which did not seem to bother it much.  It sat in one tree for
about 30 minutes while I walked around the base of the tree shooting video
tape.  As I walked back to my car he flew from his high perch to another spruce
tree about 3/4 of the way up.  With his back to me I doubt I would have seen
him without watching him fly into the tree.  He sat at this perch for about an
hour while I walked up to the tree and tried to get some shots with a digital
camera.  Conditions were terrible for photography with very low light and some
wind but I managed to get a few shots.  I'll post some along with the ones from
Feb. 18 later at http://photos.yahoo.com/phoxinus02 under the folder marked
ETX-90.
Rick

Rick Phillips