[TN-Bird] long-tailed ducks and red-necked grebes Sevier County at Douglas Dam

  • From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 22:29:20 +0000 (UTC)

Today I found 9 Red-necked Grebes in the Flat Creek area of Douglas Lake.  You
can get there by taking the Atchley Road boat access off of Flat Creek road.
Drive out into the dry lake shore on the gravel road bed.  The grebes were due
west about 1000 yards so I hoofed it over to within 200yds.  There was one lone
Ruddy Duck diving in this area too.

Later at the Douglas Dam marina I found 4Long-tailed Ducks swimming around with
some coots.  Easy to spot.  I walked right onto the boat slips and got some
great photos which I'll post later, I'm mobile at Starbucks right now.  Also
found about 41 Redhead and 3Ring-necked ducks.  A few pb grebes, other than
that nothing on the main water body.

Keith Watson
Pittman Center, TN