[TN-Bird] late June Horned Grebe at South Holston Lake, Sullivan Co., TN

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 23:33:50 -0400

 Horned Grebe breeding plummage 24 June 2014 Musicks Campground SHL exposure
two.jpg

Photo by Wallace Coffey

  This photo was taken at Musick's Campground on South Holston Lake today,
24 June,

  at 6:37 p.m., just off the shoreline.

A very rare summer occurrence of a Horned Grebe

in adult breeding plumage was discovered at Musick's

Campground on South Holston Lake in Sullivan Co. TN

today, 24 June 2014.  I was birding alone.

This may be the latest June record in Tennessee history.

It is probably only the second June record in Northeast

Tennessee and the region in 60 years.

Fred Behrend of Elizabethton had one as late as

19 June 1954 at Lake Phillip Nelson in Carter Co., TN.

There are no Horned Grebes known to be present in

Tennessee at this date.

At the present, this is the only one I know of at this date

east of the Great Plains. Earlier in the month, there were

records at Beaufort NC and a few observations at

Pea Island in NC; Bayport Park in Hernando Co.

FL and a few on the Great Lakes and a couple of records

or so were in the coastal plains of Virginia.

There are no eastern US birds reported at the present.

The breeding range is primarily in Alaska and central

Canada.

The bird appeared to enter a stand of emergent aquatic

plants directly off shore of Musick's Campground about

6:45 p.m. where it may spend the night.  I had, just moments

earlier, attempted to arrange for a birder with much better

equipment than my Panasonic Lumix pocket camera to

come take better photos but that person was not available.

The above photo was taken thru my spotting scope with

the pocket camera at a fairly good distance.

Wallace Coffey

Bristol, TN

JPEG image