[TN-Bird] hiwassee

  • From: Thais Carr <thaiscarr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:38:38 -0600

I met an old friend & we took the TN Aquarium’s Gorge Explorer to the Hiwassee
refuge.  Very nice boat- they even had wine as well as soft drinks.  ( I stayed
on the upper level the whole time, so I can’t give any details about that.  My
friend said the restroom was much nicer than airplane restrooms)   I didn’t
keep a detailed count- to be honest, I was too busy  catching up with my
friend, whom I had not seen in more than  a few years.  I did count 12 bald
eagles, adult & juvenile.  Of course, lots of cranes.  A couple of interesting
sightings- two swans were clearly visible tho’I wasn’t able to get a good look
due to vegetation obscuring details .  Perhaps tundra.

Something else unusual.  The naturalist was quite certain that it was a
peregrine falcon we saw harassing several king vultures.  This went on for
quite a while; they were a good distance from us.  That was certainly a first
for me.

Thais Carr
Thompsons Station