[TN-Bird] blue-headed vireo (plateau) and short-eared owls (sequatchie valley)

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:51:45 -0600

I did some hiking in Fall Creek Falls State Resort Park and Natural
Area, Van Buren Co., yesterday and found a Blue-headed Vireo near Piney
Creek Falls.  Given the increasing number of winter season records of
this vireo in Tennessee during the last five years or so, this sighting
possibly involved an overwintering bird; it was not singing, just
quietly hanging out with a chickadee/titmouse flock.  During six hours
of hiking yesterday this was the only certain BHVI that I found, though
I may have heard a singer at another site; I heard just two songs at
great distance (and it was windy) and could not find the bird despite a
longish search in that vicinity.

Three Short-eared Owls were still roosting at the site on Ninemile
Crossroad, Bledsoe Co.,  where this species was originally found by
David Trently et al. in January.  The owls did not rise from the roost
until 1756 CST, fourteen minutes later than they rose from the roost
just two days ago.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN

Note: has anyone ever hiked the lower Cane Creek loop in Fall Creek
Falls State Resort Park and Natural Area during late spring or early
summer and found Swainson's Warblers there?  Yesterday was my first hike
on this loop (12 miles), and some of the habitat in the bottom of the
gorge looks appropriate for that species, though I cannot find that
there is a park record for it.