[TN-Bird] a useful non-field guide

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:58:42 -0400

The most engrossing and helpful non-field guide birding book that I have
found is  "Identify Yourself - The 50 Most Common Birding Identification
Challenges" by Bill Thompson III, illustrated by Julie Zickefoose.  I bought
this about a year ago after I read a few pages in the book store and found
it impossible to put back on the shelf.  I carry it with me everywhere I
bird (either in the car or in the field).

It's a compilation of articles that appeared over the years in the Bird
Watcher's Digest" (none of which I had read).  I love this book.  It is so
entertainingly written that I think I'd enjoy it even if I weren't a birder.
  It's also beautifully illustrated and full of helpful identification tips,
devoting several pages to each identification challenge as opposed to the
few sentences you find in the guides.  My only problem with the book is that
it isn't longer, i.e. doesn't more species and ID challenges.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, TN