[TN-Bird] Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - Rutherford Co.

  • From: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:46:14 -0500

Continuing my fatherly duties this week, I took the kiddo to the Discovery
Center in Murfreesboro this morning about 9.  The water level in the
wetland is very low and it was terribly unbirdy until right before we got
back to the playground where I had crippling looks at a Yellow-bellied
Flycatcher at about 15ft and at eye level in a big willow tree.  The bird
didn't linger and was gone after about 10 seconds. Very nice small
flycatcher, olive backed, yellow throat, olive breast with bright yellow
belly through the undertail coverts, complete distinct eye-ring and wings
bars, with dainty bill (compared to an Acadian Flycatcher).

From the playground, we'd gone to the left over and around the open water
and then around the first right hand bend about 100ft where it was in the
willows on the left.  I had a yellow-bellied in almost this exact spot in
spring 2011.

Is there a list I can start for the kiddo that's something like, "birds my
dad saw while I was looking for frogs and playing with my sunglasses?"  I
may have to start that list!

Good birding!
Scott Somershoe