[TN-Bird] Yellow Rails and Rice Festival

  • From: "Tommie Rogers" <Bananaquit1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TNBird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:54:15 -0400

Louisiana birders and rice farmers held their wonderful festival this last
Thursday through Sunday in Jennings.  Ron and I were fortunate to attend it.
We rode the combines and saw many Yellow Rails, Soras, Virginia and King Rails.
 I never imagined that I would see numerous Yellow Rails, having seen only two
in previous years.  It was so much fun birding with some of Louisiana's finest
birders and getting to know the rice farmers.  We visited some of the wildlife
refuges and ate jambalaya prepared by the local folks.  Four days sounded like
a long time to spend there, but I left Jennings feeling that I didn't have
enough time to do and see all that I wanted to do and see.  There was an option
to ride combines every day to see the rails, but there were lots of field trips
and other birds to see, too.  Tough choices.
Birders came from 23 different states and some came from Great Britain,too.

Tommie Rogers
Marion county