[TN-Bird] W-w Doves - Buff-b Sandpiper - Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:33:28 -0400 (EDT)

Aug. 17, 2011
Crittenden Co. AR
President's Island and
Ensley Bottoms, Shelby Co. TN

Going over to AR and back again, but this time there was both  an adult
male and female Scissor-tailed Flycatcher feeding the two youngsters on  the
wires.

On President's Is, I sorted through thousands of doves before  a single
White-winged flew from under some grain boxcars on the tracks into a
Cottonwood Tree and then down into the grass. It was an adult, then about 250
yards
away I lucked up on a second bird sleeping in another  tree.

At Ensley, a little bad news, one of the new Fuzzy Four brood  went missing
since the weekend. Must be turtles that take the small ones because  after
a couple of weeks their numbers stabilize. Both of the other broods  were
located and seem to be doing fine. The 2 Blue-winged Teal are still hanging
out together plus I flushed and photographed a Northern Shoveler, an early
return.

I almost overlooked a molting Buff-breasted Sandpiper (first  of season for
"Pits" and right on time) because of the background in which it  chose to
feed. I had been sitting for quite some time scanning the peeps when  its
form just took shape right in front on me..........The peeps were being kept
on their toes by an adult and an immature Red-tail hunting low but they have
gotten used to the Mississippi Kites which they watch but stay put rather
than  flushing like last week.

I've added a few shots from today at:

 _http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/137315685_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/137315685)

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this  feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.