[TN-Bird] Re: Woods Reservoir - Red-throated Loon

  • From: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:16:03 -0600

Incidentally I made a quick stop at Woods reservoir, Franklin co., late this
afternoon in what seemed like balmy 25-30 degrees.  As Stephen noted, lots of
ice, but there were more birds than on Monday.

I found 5 white-winged scoters (snooze), 500+ hooded mergs and 500+ horned
grebe, 75+ common loons and an adult RED-THROATED LOON.  There were easily 7000
gulls present, with 400-500 Bonaparte's and the rest ring-billed, most flying
low over the lake foraging. There were probably 1000 ducks on the south shore,
but hard to ID from the vantage points I had, but mallards dominated.

4 Sandhill cranes also flew over. Several hundred were just west of Winchester
yesterday evening as well.

Good birding!
Scott Somershoe

Sent from my iPad