[TN-Bird] Woodpeckers

  • From: "Ella Howard" <birder3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:22:56 -0600

Greetings,
    We enjoy hearing bird news from various quarters so I thought we would
share what is good news for us here near South Pittsburg, Tn.  I realize that
Red-headed Woodpeckers are still seen at certain spots around the Chattanooga
area, but also know that they have become increasingly more rare.  We live in
Fiery Gizzard Cove in Marion County and had not seen a Red-headed since l990
and they topped our lists of those we hoped would come back again.  Today  a
beautiful one came to our feeder which also means that within the last 24 hours
we have seen all the Woodpecker family possible in our area - Pileated, Hairy,
Downy, Red-bellied, Red-headed, Flicker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  We also
have a small flock of Purple Finches, an occasional House Finch, scores of
Goldfinces, a Hermit Thrush, Fox Sparrows,  all the regulars, and four siskens
came about two weeks ago, but did not stay around.  It is always great fun.
                                                                        Good
birding to all,
                                                                         J. N.
and Ella Howard