[TN-Bird] Wood Stork-Uppy-Buffy-Baird's -Ensley Bottoms

  • From: olcoot1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:01:28 -0400

Aug.22,2007
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
This weekend,?I spent Saturday with Kenny and LaDonna Nichols looking for
waders and shorebirds in Arkansas and Sunday with Gail King and her sister at
Ensley. The weekend ended with Wood Storks and Roseatte Spoonbills plus great
shorebirds in AR and with the Ensley shorebirds, a weekend total of 24 species
of Wind Birds.

Today was almost as good, as an afternoon trip to Ensley yielded a single
immature Wood Stork in a barrow pit off Riverport Road. This pit started
attracting Great Egrets a couple of weeks ago with numbers growing from 120
plus to a grand total on Sunday afternoon of 437. I was in a hurry, trying to
get a few hours in gleaning through the Wind Birds but there in all the Great
Egrets in the barrow pit,?was that slow, long striding gate of a Wood Stork. I
pulled a fast U-turn and?got a few?distant photos of this single immature.

The pits held a lot of shorebirds, more than were present during our visit on
Sunday. Right off the bat?I picked up 2 Baird's Sandpipers, then another pair
and then another pair, all could be viewed in one sweep of the scope. I took
some photos to compare plumages, none were as far along as the bird we had a
week before. In another corner there was another, making 7 immature birds and
finally there was a dark, stunning immature. I have never seen a Baird's
immature so red in color.

Finally, immature Pectoral Sandpipers,?I've been looking for them for a couple
of weeks. The immature Western, Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers sure make a
fine array of eye candy.

I heard a distant Upland call and went to the vast pigweed patches and after a
search discovered a single Buff-breasted and shortly thereafter a Upland
wandered out of the cover. A super way to end a hot day..............

Jeff R. Wilson
Ol'Coot / TLBA
Bartlett, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES