[TN-Bird] Williamson County Trumpeter Swans

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 05:37:49 -0700 (PDT)

Both swans were seen this morning at 0630.
This would lead one to surmise that the birds are roosting at the small pond, and foraging elsewhere during the day.

The origin of these birds may well never be determined; but it is hard for me to imagine that they are not escapes from somewhere, even though they are not obviously banded.
I wonder how many of these birds are kept in captivity, and whether there is any central registry to monitor missing birds?  Can one buy a Trumpeter Swan, or is ownership limited to certain facilities?
If anyone has answers/thoughts on these questions, it would be of interest.

Cheers

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn

ps  Thanks to Chris Sloan for the original posting