[TN-Bird] White-winged Scoters, Concord, Knox County

  • From: "Steve Clendenen" <scgwc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:05:46 -0500

Thanks to Colin Sumrall for posting his sighting this morning!  Janet McKnight
and we re-found the two male White-winged Scoters.  We went to the double
bridge west of the Concord Road traffic circle and quickly found the birds with
a scope at 8:40 a.m. and Janet McKnight soon joined us.  The birds floated with
heads tucked in until 9:30, occasionally raising their heads.  The rear side
white spots were very visible and we saw the white eye slashes when heads were
raised.  They started flying around, showing the white wing patches, and soon
disappeared toward the southwest at 9:35.

Steve & Gail Clendenen
Farragut, Knox County