[TN-Bird] White-winged Scoter at Center Hill dam, DeKalb Co.

  • From: "LeGrand family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:41:33 -0600

Steve Stedman and I saw a first-year male White-winged Scoter just above the
dam at Center Hill Lake, DeKalb Co. this morning (Jan. 14, 2015). As shown
in the Sibley field guide, the bird had a distinct white iris but no white
feathering around the eye, and the yellow on the bill was present but not
prominent. The only other duck we saw on the lake (around the dam and at the
Floating Mill area) was a male Canvasback near the dam.

Earlier in the morning, a single Red-breasted Merganser at Cane Creek Park
in Cookeville (Putnam Co.) was notable in being a male. It flew off while we
were there.

Ed LeGrand

Crossville, TN