[TN-Bird] White-throated sparrow arrives; new juncos still here + more bird notes

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:39:33 EDT

Good Afternoon,

At 3:50 P.M. today, the first white-throated sparrow of the  season arrived
at Dee's Smorgabird in the Charlotte Park section of West  Nashville.  The two
juncos that arrived yesterday are still here. All are  merrily feeding away
along with the usual mourning doves, chickadees, titmice,  cardinals, blue
jays,
Carolina wrens, etc.  The Eurasian collared dove has  not been here during
the week of rain.  It first came every day for six  days, took a week's hiatus,
returned for two days and has been gone for another  week.  Maybe it "rams
around" like the smooth-billed anis used to do to me  in Florida.  They were
very
irregular in their visits to my yard down  there, so I could never tell
birders when to come over and look at  them.   My Florida scrub jays were very
dependable.  All I had to  do was walk outside with a handful of red peanuts,
squawk "scra-ack" at them,  and they'd come in, perch on my hand and take the
peanuts to bury them in my  neighbor's sandy flower beds, then come back for
more.
 With all the photos  that were taken of those birds on my hand, no one ever
sent a photo to me!   I was always so excited to show them off to people that
I forgot to ask anyone  to send a copy to me  .  Here, I can depend on my
bossy  mockingbirds to come to my call of "C'Mon, Boss," and they fly right in
get  their peanut butter or jelly.  One of them became tame enough to eat from
 my hand a couple of summers ago, but I stopped encouraging that.  I didn't
want it to become TOO trusting of people.

So much for my "ramblings."  Just LOVE having the birds come for their  meals!

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES