[TN-Bird] White Pelicans at TN NWR

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:58:39 EST

It was a super Sunday to visit theTn National Wildlife Refuge- Duck River and
Big Sandy units along the Tennessee River.
First stop for us comming from Nashville was Cuba Landing, part of Duck River
unit and right off I40 west. Best sight here was a group of 18 mostly male
Readhead ducks dabbling in the shallows in the bright sunshine.
Pace Point could have kept us entertained all day. Favorites included Greater
Scaup, Common Goldeneye and the many Red-breasted Mergansers with the males
chasing and displaying. Late in the afernoon while scanning the bay below the
maintence sheds on Pace Point road we had a fly-over of two flocks of White
Pelicans one with about 50 birds the other about 30 birds. They were heading
west
toward Big Sandy River bay. They were not seen from Britton Ford overlook
later. At the overlook an incomming flock of  Greater White-fronted geese gave
us
a "life listen" of their musical higher-pitched calls.
Most the Bald Eagles seen during the day were adults, including the 20 or
more we saw comming to roost off Pace Point road after sunset.
Richard Connors
Nashville TN