[TN-Bird] White Pelicans, Red-breasted Merganser, Bald Eagles, and Ospreys in Birchwood

  • From: "Charles Murray" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:03:01 +0000 (UTC)

This morning at various sites in Meigs County at Birchwood  I saw several
species not always common to that area. Near the bridge over Dry Branch on
Burdette Road, I saw 2 white pelicans. A few hundred yards away at the TWRA
boat ramp I saw one male red-breasted merganser, a few pied-billed grebes, and
a couple of ospreys. The pelicans were also visible from that ramp. (A resident
of the area reported around 200 white pelicans yesterday. He saw them from a
boat, and he said that they were circling like sandhill cranes. I'm not sure if
they were in the wider area of Dry Branch or in the Tennessee River near the
outlet of Dry Branch.) I saw 3 blue-winged teal near the Dry Branch bridge
yesterday afternoon.
Earlier this morning, I saw a pair of wood ducks at the Hiwassee Wildlife
Refuge viewing area. From the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park, I saw 3 adult
bald eagles and several ospreys.
Charles MurrayBirchwood, TN