[TN-Bird] Whip-poor-will suggestion

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 07:22:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hey TN-Birders,

Since we're talking about Eastern Whip-poor-wills, I just wanted to mention
Flat Rock Cedar Glades & Barrens State Natural Area for anyone in Middle TN who
wants to hear (and probably even see) one. Last year Ryan Johnston and I
unexpectedly discovered a large population of them there. I would go so far as
to say it might be the best site for them in the entire state. Just walk the
loop trail around twilight and you should hear lots of them.
Chuck-will's-widows are even more abundant, and the chorus of both species is
incredible to hear.

Also, for those who don't already know this trick, the easiest way to see them
is to hold a flashlight against the side of your head (the idea is to get it as
close to your eyes as possible). At that angle, any reflected light will go
right back to your eyes. All nightjars have highly reflective eyes, so just
look for a glowing red spot in the beam of your flashlight. That's the eye of
the bird.

Daniel Estabrooks
Winter Haven, FL