[TN-Bird] Re: Whigg Meadow Update?

  • From: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:23:32 -0500

I haven't received an update with a current total number of captures in
about a week, but we were on pace to more than double our total captures
from last year. We topped our 2013 totals for the month (550 birds) in only
13 days this year!

A couple weeks ago, I recaptured a Tennessee and a Cape May Warbler that
were banded at Whigg Meadow in 2011 and 2010, respectively. Returns of
migrants (not breeding or wintering within 100 mi of a banding site) are
extremely rare, with maybe 50 birds documented, ever.  This is the 15th(!!)
Tennessee and first Cape May (3rd Cape May according to the scant
literature) to return to Whigg.

It's been a very windy and often rainy at night (at least it was for the
first couple weeks) and we haven't caught any saw-whets in the limited
hours we've tried.  One was heard calling a dawn a couple weeks ago though.

This coming weekend is the last weekend for Whigg 2014, so don't wait to
visit this year!

I'll post more when I know more.  We'll also make a blog or something for
updates, but it's just something else on my to-do list!

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe