[TN-Bird] Whigg Meadow Banding Station report

  • From: David Vogt <dfvogt41@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 22:29:51 -0400

Having recently returned from 2 days of banding at Whigg Meadow, Cherokee
National Forest, Monroe Co. TN, I thought I would post a report on
captures made this season thus far. Banding began August 29 and had been
conducted through 16 Sept. when I left. During this period 827 birds of 44
species were banded. 22 warbler species have been banded. Among the most
frequently captured species were Tennessee Warbler at 213, Swainson's
Thrush at 86 and Blue-headed Vireo at 82. Two species of birds were banded
this season that have never been captured at this site before. American
Robin and Swainson's Warbler. Another 1st capture for the station that was
released unbanded was a Ruffed Grouse. Thus far the largest number of
captures occured on Sept 2 (93). Sept 15 (81) and Sept 16 (94). A few
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have been released unbanded as well.

Species banded (in order of 1st capture)

Chestnut-sided Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
America Redstart
Dark-eyed Junco