[TN-Bird] Whigg Meadow 2014 Banding totals

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 02:34:40 +0000

All,
Just a final update on how we did with banding at Whigg Meadow in Cherokee NF,
Monroe Co. this fall.  We ran nets on 30 days from 30 Aug-28 Sept 2014. It was
often very windy and cloudy/foggy and drizzly (at least the days I was there),
but we did much better than last year.  We banded 1,353 birds (up from 550 last
year!) and caught 52 species!  We added 5 nets in a spot where I was sure we'd
catch more birds and well, we caught a lot more!  Once I get all the data
entered, it'll be very interesting to see what percentage of birds we caught in
the new nets (it was a lot).

Top 5 species in descending order of capture were: Tennessee Warbler (254),
Blue-headed Vireo (poss. a record number this year with 178), Swainson's Thrush
(153), Black-throated Blue Warbler (125), and Chestnut-sided Warbler (84).

Since my last post, we also recaptured another Tennessee Warbler that we banded
at Whigg Meadow, this one being banded in Sept 2013.  These returns are
extremely rare, but we had 2 Tennessee's and a Cape May this year (WOW!).  And
yes Migrant editors, we are working on some papers on this stuff.

Some other highlights included a Carolina Wren on Sept 10 (uncommon up there),
Song Sparrow (31 Aug and lingered for a couple weeks, also uncommon at Whigg),
Carolina Chickadee (30 Aug, heard/saw 1-2 almost daily) and a Black-capped
Chickadee (banded on 28 Sept).

**We definitely need more helpers (data recorders, bird extractors, and even
banders) so if you have experience or not and are willing to "rough it" (in a
beautiful place) for a day or a week or more, please let me know.  We will
certainly need the help in the future and this is a great place to learn and
help!

It was a fantastic season at Whigg Meadow.  Wish I could have been up there
more than 5 days!

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist