[TN-Bird] West TN; 3/16/06

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:03:54 -0600

3/16/06
Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge to Reelfoot Lake area
Lauderdale, Dyer, & Lake Co.

Don Manning and I made a run around some of the areas close to the
Mississippi River. All in all, the most noteworthy sighting was the
near-total lack of wetland habitat. Many of the bar pits are even drying up,
if we don't get some rain soon, it will be a very tough season for
shorebirds coming through this area.

Dabbling ducks covered practically all decent-looking spots, including many
BLUE-WINGED TEAL, my 1st of season (FOS). Interestingly, most concentrations
were single-species, or near so anyway. Everyone is segregate out, including
some of the biggest straight flocks of NORTHERN SHOVELERS and AMERICAN
WIGEON that I remember seeing. On the waterfowl front, we were somewhat
surprised to see a couple of decent flocks of geese. We had a flock of about
50 GREATER WHITE-FRONTS which contained a couple of SNOW GEESE (Lake Co.),
and then a large flock of SNOW GEESE, with a few ROSS'S and WHITE-FRONTS
resting in a rice field at Black Bayou at Reelfoot Lake. Reelfoot had many
RUDDY DUCKS and SCAUP, along with a few BUFFLEHEAD, but no surprises.
Species count for waterfowl on the day was 16.

Shorebirds were the main focus of the day, with GOLDEN-PLOVER being the main
target. We had our 1st taste of shorebirds at Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge.
One of the previously flooded fields directly in front of the observation
area is a little damp now, and hosted a large flock of 200+ PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS. WILSON'S SNIPE and GREATER YELLOWLEGS were here as well, as they
were in practically every decent-looking spot. We only had LESSER YELLOWLEGS
once on the day, 3 birds along Hwy 103, at the Great River Rd intersection
(Dyer Co.). As was the usual case though, this area was much drier than
normal. By far the best shorebird spot though, was a leveed field off of
Parker Rd, just north of the county line, in Lake Co (accessed off the Great
River Rd.) This area had our 1st AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS, 20 of them, as
well as many SNIPE, along with more PECTORALS and GREATER YELLOWLEGS.
Unfortunately, it looks like the water could be dropped from this field at
any time. Our only other GOLDEN-PLOVERS, was a group of 7 calling overhead
in Lake Co. I had expected to see Least Sandpiper at some point, but didn't
have any, thus a total on the day of 6 species.

Otherwise, it was pretty quiet. The only swallow besides TREE SWALLOW, was a
single BARN along the Mississippi, at Tiptonville Bar. The River is really
rolling now, but we didn't see anything but a couple of Ring-billed Gulls
floating down it. This was our only gull species on the day. There were at
most, a dozen flying around at Reelfoot. As Jeff mentioned, FISH CROWS are
very much in evidence now, and greatly outnumbered AMERICAN in the locations
we visited.

Lets' hope for some more rain!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd