[TN-Bird] Waterfowl at Wal-Mart Distribution Center, Greene County, Tennessee

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:58:37 -0500

Yesterday (Sunday, Feb. 22) I finally got to bird the Wal-Mart Distribution
Center ponds in Greene County (thanks to the excellent directions of Don
Miller) and try out my "new" (used) scope and tripod.  There were mostly
mallards but a few other waterfowl species I could I.D.

On the first pond by the parking lot when I drove in there were a few
Mallards and a great blue heron.  There were a lot of ducks on the 2nd pond
but at a great distance; Just as I got there a train went by and they all
flew off (the tracks run right behind the pond).  They appeared to be all
Mallards, about 50 or more.

Better luck at the 3rd pond.  As I was scanning the 20+ Mallards, a small
fleet of redheads swam in from the reedy, boggy area to the left (I counted
at least 11).  A bit later 8 Canvasbacks flew in.

I also watched an adult male Northern harrier hunting on the far side of the
reedy, boggy area that's parallel to the fence you walk by to get to the 3rd
pond. On my way back to the parking lot there was another harrier hunting in
the fields on the other side of the 1st & 2nd ponds.  This was either a
female or an immature but it was too far away for me to be sure.  I did see
it catch and devour its dinner.

Also seen were killdeer, bluebirds, starlings, song sparrows, crows, several
great blue heron, a couple of meadowlarks and 4 coots (1st pond).

Carole Gobert
Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee