[TN-Bird] Various Middle TN birds, 21 May 13

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 01:54:57 +0000

A few notables from today 21 May 13:

Bark Camp Barrens WMA, Coffee Co.
1 Willow Flycatcher
only 6 Henslow's Sparrows (and we walked every field)
1 Grasshopper Sparrow

Coffee Co Sod Farm
At least 4 Horned Larks singing and displaying
One lone duck on the pond by the sod farm shop.  A female Lesser Scaup was
found/reported here about 10 days ago on the TWRA Bird Class (I wasn't present
this day due to personal reasons), but the bird today didn't appear to be a
Lesser.  Our view wasn't ideal, but I thought female Greater Scaup was much
more likely via silhouette, head shape, and posture.  We returned later for
another look but couldn't find the bird (figures!).

Little Elder Island rookery, Woods Res., Franklin Co.
1 Snowy Egret nest
3 Little Blue Heron nests, but 10+ adults present
also nesting Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons, Black-crowned Night-Herons,
Double-crested Cormorants, and Cattle Egret (350+ pairs).
The island has deteriorated significantly since last year and over 100 pairs of
Cattle Egret are now nesting ON the adjacent duck blind, along with a couple
pairs each of Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons, several Black-crowned
Night-Herons, and one Little Blue Heron.  I also photographed some Cattle Egret
nesting on the GROUND on the island proper.  I saw at least 15 nests built
directly on the ground.  I guess when you're desperate.....  I wish there was
something we could to do help this island, which from my surveys over the last
couple years is the most diverse nesting colony of waders in Tennessee.

Veterans Rd Flooded Fields, Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co.
Blue-winged Teal  4
Semipalmated Plover  12
Killdeer  10
Spotted Sandpiper  5