[TN-Bird] Unbelievable warbler sighting

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:02:57 EDT

Good Morning,
Just a little while ago, I had a very unexpected bird drop down to inspect my
deck here in the Charlotte Park section of West Nashville (Davidson County) a
few blocks from the Cumberland River.  As it strolled across my deck only a
few feet from where I was sitting inside, I was shocked to see the plain brown
body, brownish-tannish-rufousy crown, white eyebrow, rather large warbler
bill, short tail and orangy legs of a Swainson's warbler.  It went across into
leafy covered edge of the deck under the grape vines, then hopped up a foot or
so onto a grape vine, then flew off toward some low growing vegetation in the
neighbor's yard.  This is just about the last place in the world I'd expect to
have a Swainson's, but it gave me a perfect look in super light although it
got out of here pretty fast.  It sure wasn't where I'd expect to see one, but I
guess it decided to check the area out.  Wonder if it was lost?  Someone once
told me that, in migration, almost anything goes.  Whee, a new yard bird.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN