[tn-bird] Two surprises today

  • From: "William Peeples" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:49:18 -0500

Shelby Forest
Eagle Lake WMA
Shelby Co., TN

    Went outside this morning at 5:00 to get the newspaper and was surprised to
hear a Screech-Owl calling from the trees across the street.  Have only heard
this species at home one time before, about two years ago.
    Taking an unprompted Screech-Owl as a GOOD omen, I decided to check out
Shelby Forest this morning.  Hoped for late transients and summer residents.
Between the headquarters and the nature center, I heard a heavy "twip" call
while driving along.  I could recognize it as a warbler, one of the larger,
terrestrial species; namely, Hooded, Kentucky, Prothonotary, waterthrushes: any
of which would be quite late by now.  Being very curious what it was, I got out
and in a little time a gorgeous adult male Hooded warbler appeared from the
thicket.  This is apparently the latest for Shelby County (by more than 2
weeks) and probably for west TN.
    Only other summer/ fall migrants there were a single Tennessee (amongst the
many Myrtle Yellow-rumps) and only one Indigo Bunting.  Winter birds are in
clear presence:
Sapsucker 3, Brown Creeper 3, Golden-crown Kinglet 6, Ruby-crown 17, Hermit
Thrush 5, Cedar Waxwing 3, Myrtles about 30, Song Sparrow 1, Whitethroat 20,
Junco 15.  Also, 4 Wild Turkeys crossed in front of the car along the main road.
    No surprises at Eagle Lake.  Along with small flock of killdeer and snipe,
there were 2 coots, a cormorant, only one each Great Egret and Great Blue, one
female Gadwall and a drake Mallard.  Plus a pipit.

Rob Peeples
Germantown, TN