[TN-Bird] Two more Brewer's bb's

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 20:02:34 EST

Hello once more from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville a few blocks
east of the old Cleece's Ferry landing and boat ramp on the Cumberland River
just across from rural Bell's Bend.

While catching an early & fast bite of dinner before rushing to a late
lasting event last night, I had TWO full grown male Brewer's blackbirds and one
gorgeous red-winged blackbird feeding together at my "smorgabird" on the deck.
They fed for about five minutes before the red-wing took off toward the river.
Within seconds, both Brewer's followed the same path as the red-wing.  No
sooner had they cleared the deck before twelve male common grackles came in for
landing accompanied by five male cowbirds.  As in the case of the lone
Brewer's blackbird I reported on March 21st, these birds AND the red-wing do
not seem
to wish to associate much WITH the grackles.  I DO seem to remember seeing
them in pretty close association at Sacajawea just north of Bismarck, ND, back
in the 70's.  Maybe they just get "picky" in migration.

This morning, I heard then saw red-wings in my tree tops as I placed food on
the deck, but they never came down to eat.  They all flew off toward the
river, and I did not see any Brewer's among them.  Since I awoke MUCH later
than
usual (having been out somewhat late last night), perhaps they were the ones
who
had helped finish off all the food I had put out last night when I came home.

Most of my day was spent working on my container gardens on the deck, so did
not have many birds coming around with me out there.  My mockingbirds would
fly over and "beg" when the peanut butter and grape jelly supply was depleted.
My ONE white-throated sparrow was singing musically, and he is looking
brilliant.  Yesterday's lone junco did not come over today, so it may have
migrated.
All the rest of the usual suspects hit the deck as soon as I went inside to
fix lunch and disappeared when I went back to the deck, then came back when I
finished my planting for the afternoon.

Happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN