[tn-bird] Turkey/GH Owl/Bobwhite

  • From: "Anna Varney" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 13:42:18 -0500

Hi all,

While traveling the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway from Lewis County, through
Maury County and finally Williamson County yesterday, I counted no less than 50
Wild Turkey.  The smallest gang was 4 birds, the largest around 20.  Kinda
worked out to 1 turkey per mile.  Only 6 crows seen on this same stretch of
road.

Later in the day, in Perry County, husband and I spotted a large bird dead on a
small bridge.  Getting out to investigate we discovered it to be a Great Horned
Owl, probably hit by a vehicle.  We turned it over with a stick.  One wing was
quite flexible and the size of the talons was awesome.  Sorry to offend anyone,
but we thought it was a great educational tool.  Nevertheless, we got the owl
off the road.

Still later in the day, one of the four house (only) cats was focused on
something in the backyard.  Sometimes this is a great payoff.  I've been
alerted to interesting creatures by watching their behavior.  So, I grabbed the
binoculars and counted off 12 Northern Bobwhite making their way from the woods
into the garden and then into the tall grass/wildflower/Mother Nature area.
One was clearly an adult male.  They moved into the tall grass so fast then out
of sight.  This is second time that I have seen them here although we have
heard them for months.

Recovering from the invasion of the in-laws,
Anna Varney
Summertown, TN