[TN-Bird] Turkey Creek wetlands, Knox County

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:53:05 -0400

I visited the Turkey Creek wetlands in west Knox County over the past
weekend (Saturday and Sunday) and saw or heard most of the same birds that
Steve & Gail Clendenon had reported, including the waterthrush and the
solitary sandpiper, both of which were in the small pool beside the chip
trail (on the east side of the trail just opposite the fast moving water on
the west side of the trail).

In addition I watched two Eastern Kingbirds having a dispute with two Common
Grackles in the wetland to the north of the paved trail; they took turns
diving at each other with no clear winner emerging.

Also saw a couple Cedar Waxwings and a Canada Goose family consisting of two
adults and 5 young ones.  When first spotted they were behind Earthfare, in
the tall grass on the hillside leading to the paved path.  Thought there
were 3 goslings but as they emerged from the tall grass to cross the path
and go into the water 2 additional ones appeared.

From the parking lot at Quiznos you can look down on a large  pool.  It held
two kildeer and a couple of Northern Rough Winged Swallows passed over
allowing me to get a close look from a new overhead angle.

If anyone reading this lost their cell phone at Turkey Creek recently, it's
somewhere to the north of the paved path behind Earthfare.  I heard it
ringing but couldn't locate it in the thick undergrowth.  About the time I
started looking for it, it stopped ringing.

Carole Gobert
Knox County, Tennessee