[TN-Bird] Turkey Creek Wetland, Common Snipe, GBBC

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:32:13 -0500

Upon checking the GBBC lists Monday afternoon it appeared to me that
Knoxville's list of species was severely lacking in waterfowl.  I decided to
try to help out in that category by leaving work a bit early and going to
the Turkey Creek wetland in west Knox County, Tennessee.  Surely I could at
least add a wood duck or gadwall to the list.  I first went to the parking
lot at Baptist Hospital and found 4 or 5 wood ducks.  No sign of the pied
billed grebe that was there a few weeks ago.  Didn't stay long but drove to
Earthfare, parked and at approx. 5:30 p.m.started walking along the paved
walk toward Lovell Road (eastbound).

I hadn't gone far when a bird flushed to my left, scurrying into the
vegetation and out of sight.  Its companion, however, froze.  A Common
Snipe.  I think the one that fled was also probably a snipe but I'll never
know.  The one that stayed just stood there, up to its belly in water, not
moving.  It was maybe 12 feet from me.  It didn't move while I dug out my
field guide (thankfully I found one in the car for this unplanned excursion)
and compared field marks.  A perfect match.  It stood there for at least 5
minutes before walking into the same vegetation the frirst one had.

It was getting dark so there were birds I couldn't ID (good excuse)  but
here's my list for the slightly less than an hour I spent there:

                Wood Duck - 4  (all at Baptist)
        Gadwall - 8
        Mallard - about 50  (28 at Baptist)
        Northern Shoveler - 2