[TN-Bird] Turkey Creek Preserve Wetland

  • From: "Steve Clendenen" <scgwc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 20:42:26 -0400

We visited the Turkey Creek Preserve Wetland from 3:45 to 5:00 p.m. today.  The
preserve straddles Parkside Drive at the eastern end of the Turkey Creek
shopping development between Lovell Road and Campbell Station Road in western
Knox County.  Parkside Drive is south of I-40 and parallels it.  Park at
Earthfare (across from Wal-Mart).  Beside Salsarita's restaurant at the west
end of the building, there is a paved walk that goes down to the paved
walking/biking trail.  Turn right to walk along most of the wetland.
Some birds seen or heard along the paved trail:
Green Heron - 1
House Wren - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Mallard, a pair with 7 or 8 ducklings
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

From the bridge (which is near McDonald's), we saw a waterthrush 60-70 feet to
the north.  It did not call or sing, but we called it a Louisiana because of
the bold white eyebrow and bold breast streaking.  We plan to look for it
Thursday.

Just to the east of the bridge is an unpaved path that goes northward.  From
this path, we saw:
Green Heron in high breeding plumage with bright orange legs.  Another Green
Heron raised and lowered a crown crest, reminding us of a Greater Roadrunner.
Yellow Warbler - 1
Palm Warbler - 1
Blackpoll Warbler - 1
Prothonotary Warbler - 1