[TN-Bird] Tundra Swan at Lauderdale WR

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:02:41 EST

Nov. 14, 2004
Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge
Lauderdale Co. TN

I hit the refuge late in the afternoon on Sunday and the first thing I saw
was a distant large white bird. After I set up my scope I was joined by Glen
Criswell and he said the bird had been around 3 or 4 days. It is staying in the
back area and appears to be an adult Tundra.

There were a lot of Greater-white Fronted Geese along with Snows and Blues
and a couple of Ross's Geese but no Canadas. A total of 17 species of waterfowl
could be viewed with a few Redhead and Canvasback mixed in with a large number
of Ring-necked Ducks.

A couple of Harriers coursed the levees. We had a few Bald Eagles harassing
the mix along with opportunistic Red-tailed Hawks hanging around the perimeter
in the trees. One of these was a stunning white Light-morph Harlan's a first
for Glenn. On the way over from Reelfoot, I had had a close encounter with an
adult Krider's and a light morph Western Red-tailed Hawk and saw many Harriers
in the fields as they were harvesting vast fields of soybeans.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN