[TN-Bird] Trumpeter Swan relocated in TN

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:52:02 -0400

The Trumpeter Swan, which earlier this month migrated to Bristol in Sullivan
Co., TN from Ontario, has been rediscovered near Blountville, Sullivan Co.
The new location is   6.42 miles west of the pond where it had originally
been found on Jan. 1.

Today at 3:30 p.m. I went to the new location, a private residential pond
just off Tenn. Rt. 75, and saw the bird, checked its wing tag number as No.
612, and noticed the band on the bird's left leg.  The pond is at 36=B0 30'
29"N, 82=B0 14' 16"W.  Another pond is nearby where the bird is also=
 believed
to have visited.

The bird arrived at the new location Saturday, Jan. 25, and it was reported
to Pete Wyatt, Regional Wildlife Diversity Coordinator, of the Region IV
office of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.  Wyatt relayed the report
to State Ornithologist Troy Ettel at the TWRA Nashville office.  Both Ettel
and TWRA Region Manager Bob Ripley sent me e-mails  this afternoon,
reporting the bird's presence.  Last week's reports of this bird's origins
were widely circulated to TWRA officials.  The bird's status is being
followed by TWRA Chief of Wildlife Division  Larry Marcum and his staff.

The brid was found on Jan. 1, 2003 at Whitetop Creek Park (multi-sports
complex) by Rick Knight and was last seen on Jan. 12, according to  Kevin
Hamed with the Steele Creek Park Nature Center at Bristol.

The swan is a wild-hatched bird and stayed for almost two weeks at Whitetop
Creek Park in Bristol Tennessee.  The pond at White Top Creek Park is
frozen.  The stream-fed pond where it has been for the past several days
stays open and has an abundance of  aquatic plants.  The owner described the
plants as Parrotfeather (a watermilfoil).  The books list that variety as
Myriophyllum brasiliense and also as M. proserpinacoides.   I watched it
feed on the plants while I was there.=20

The swan was marked by Harry Lumsden, who said he placed the wing band on
the swan on the bird October 10, 2001 at Wye Marsh near Midland Ontario,
Canada, of the Georgian Bay. It is a female that hatch in 2001.  Lumsden is
retired from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN