[TN-Bird] Tipton Terns

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:16:54 EDT

June 13, 2003
Randolph, TN on the Mississippi River
Tipton Co. TN

I spent 3 hours in the rain and sunshine Sunday morning, sitting on the
Mississippi River watching the terns. My count on Saturday was voided when at
first
a Kestrel flew over the island and then a Cattle Egret made the mistake of
trying to land on this large island. Both times masses of Least Terns filled
the
air. There is no telling how many birds are nesting there.

Unfortunately the island is just across from a boat ramp and it will be used
extensively by the boaters and campers as soon as the river recedes a little
more. The birds will have little success after the invasion. They have been
stymied so far this year with the rising and falling of the river at
inopportune
times and looks like they are headed for another setback, not of their making.
The river has crested and is now moving down and will fall 20 or more feet.

The wind had changed directions and the birds fed heading down stream rather
than up and they concentrated south of the island rather than north. This put
a lot of them out of sight and most at a greater distance than when viewed on
Saturday.

I was there an hour before I saw my first Black Tern and then another as they
just appeared sitting on the north side of the island. This indicated that
they had been feeding out of sight on the far side and down river. That meant
the other tern could still be around and I spent another 2 hours sitting and
scanning but only saw one Black Tern in flight north of the island.

I traveled the river up to Tiptonville and checked out the lower part of
Reelfoot Lake before heading back. No migrant shorebirds were seen but 7 pair
of
Black-necked Stilts were found at various locations in Dyer and Lake Counties.

Check out your terns!!!!!

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA