[TN-Bird] Thursday Hiwassee Update

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 16:43:12 -0800 (PST)

I was not at the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs Co. in Birchwood for very
long today. Others saw the hooded crane about 1 p.m. I don't know how long it
was in view. I did not see it fly in or out of the viewing area between 4 and 5
p.m., so I don't know what the odds are that it will be visible early tomorrow.
Until the last few days, early morning was the most likely time to see the
hooded crane at HWR. Some of the 33 visitors also reported 3 whooping cranes
and several bald eagles. Considering the high winds and occasional rain, at
least a few thousand sandhill cranes were unusually active in the opinion of an
International Crane Foundation staff visitor. Eighteen of the 33 visitors were
from out of state, including two gentlemen from Canada, one from Vancouver and
another from Winnipeg, Manitoba. At least 815 visitors have now been at HWR
since December 14.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN