[TN-Bird] Thursday Field Trip to Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge, Knox Co

  • From: dtrently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:27:49 -0400

On Thursday, June 19, at 6:30 p.m., there will be a birding trip to SEVEN
ISLANDS WILDLIFE REFUGE in east Knox County, east Tennessee. (yes, that is
p.m.) We will meet there at the refuge at that time and spend the next 2-3
hours walking along the paved road looking for nesting birds. We should walk
over about 2 miles.
For more information, please look over Marcia Davis's article from the Friday,
June 13, Knoxville News Sentinel, which talked about the refuge:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/lifestyles_columnists/article/0,1406,KNS_337_2032661,00.html

If you click on the link below the bobwhite, you will see a photograph of the
park.

Wildlife biologist Wayne Schacher, who is directly responsible for the
management plan of the refuge, will be on hand to speak to us about some of
those plans - which promise to make it an even better site for birds.
I recommend you carry some water to drink.

Directions:
From I-40, take Exit 402 (Midway Rd). Head south on Midway Rd 2 miles to a
LEFT turn onto Maples Rd. At its end, turn right onto Kodak Rd. Take the first
LEFT onto Kelly Lane and drive to the end of the road where there is a parking
lot for the refuge. It's about 4 miles from the interstate.

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN
dtrently@xxxxxxx