[TN-Bird] This n'that, Knox County Sunday -- Ijams, Cliff Swallow

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:15:28 -0400

At Ijams Nature Center Sunday, June 15, Knox County, Tenn. I photographed a
raccoon resting atop a Wood Duck box.  Hope the Wood Ducks weren't using the
box.  This was at the foot of the stairs leading down to the dock just off the
River Trail.  Have posted a couple photos on my Flickr page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxysparrow/

Stopped at the pull-off on Island Home under the South Knoxville Bridge to see
if the Cliff Swallows had returned.  They have.. saw about 70 nests on the
pillars under the bridge.  One unfortunate swallow had apparently gotten its
foot caught in a string protruding from a nest and was hanging upside down,
intermittently fluttering in an attempt to free itself.  I watched for about 10
minutes but I think the swallow is doomed.

Under my feeder in west Knox County Sunday morning I watched what was probably
a juvenile Brown Thrasher.  Can't find any photos of juveniles, but this bird
had an all dark eye and red steaky auriculars (lack of feathering?).  Other
recent fledgings in the yard included a Cardinal, 3 male Eastern Towhees, 2
Tufted Titmice, at least one American Crow and uncounted Starlings, Grackles
and Bluejays.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES