[TN-Bird] The Pits 6/22/13

  • From: Georges McNeil <mcneilg20@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 19:24:48 -0700 (PDT)

I decided to go and look for Black-necked Stilt chicks today at the Pits
(Maxson treatment area) in Shelby county.  I was successful and found two
different aged chicks.  There was one group of 3 of the same size and I suspect
very close in age and were watched over by an adult female.  There was another
chick that was bigger and located away from the other three.  Birded the area
(7:30am) for about an hour and spent most of my time photographing.  I did
manage to photograph a Northern Bobwhite for the first time at the PIts.  I
almost always hear them, and usually don't see them there.

Here's a list from the short morning:
Mallard19
Black-necked Stilts   18 (including the 4 chicks)
E. Starlings   50+
Killdeer 2
Canada Goose  75+
Dickcissel  14