[TN-Bird] Tennessee Hawk Watch (week 2)

  • From: TenacBirder@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:51:03 +0000 (UTC)

Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch
Hamilton Co., near Soddy Daisy, TN
Sept. 17 & 18

Saturday 9-17 totals:
161  Broad-winged Hawks
    4  Coopers Hawks
    3  Sharp Shined Hawks
    2  Bald Eagles, 1-immature/1 adult

Highlights:  At 11:30 we had an adult dark phase Broad-winged Hawk fly
directly over head and only a couple hundred feet away.  It circled for a
few minutes as it gained altitude and continued on it's migration.

Near the close of the watch, Cynthia and Harold, had an adult Bald Eagle
fly so close, just over the drop, off that could almost reach out and touch it.
Cynthia said it was so close to her that she saw the blue reflection from the
sky in its eye.

Visitors/Counters:  Harold Birch, Bill Holt, A. J. Rankin, Jake Pettijohn,
Dan Falls and his daughter, Carla Foster, Jimmy and Cynthia Wilkerson.

Sunday, 9-18 totals:
137  Broad-winged Hawks
   2  Coopers Hawks
   2  Sharp-shinned Hawks
   1  Northern Harrier
   1  unidentified Accipiter
   1  Red-tailed Hawk...although early for our count season, I counted him
                                                                   because he
flew through without delay.

Visitors/Counters:  Chuck Estes from Oakridge, Charles Murray from Birchwood,
Starr Kline, Jimmy and Cynthia Wilkerson

Highlights:  Our largest kettle of Broad-wings for the season at (71) birds @
1:08 pm.

Numbers should increase toward the latter part of next week as the predicted
rains
cease.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson/Chattanooga, TN