[tn-bird] TWRA article (Troy might not want to read this...)

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:20:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

I just got around to checking out the Nov/Dec issue of Tennessee
Wildlife, and was rather irritated by the irresponsible, and, well
for lack of a better word, stupid item I found on page 10.

This was in a (not-well-written) self-congratulatory article written
by Jerry Bailey about the things being done by Tennessee Wildlife
Resources Foundation.  The article (ad?) was about the money TWRF is
getting on the behalf of TWRA.  I understand this is much-needed
money for an organization that recieves no state funding - that is
not my beef here.

My problem is that the first picture you see, centered at the top of
the page, is a **House Sparrow**  Yes, a non-native pest that is one
of the biggest problems faced by our native Bluebirds, woodpeckers,
Chickadees, Titmice, swallows and Purple Martins.  At first I
chuckled, thinking that some copy editor who can't tell a Wood Duck
from a Flamingo put in a pretty picture, not knowing what it was.
But the caption was the real killer - the evidense that SOMEONE
doesn't know what end is up...

"Money to preserve the habitat for our declining songbirds like this
house sparrow..."

What do they propose to do, build more houses?  Return horses to city
streets?  And who says the HOSP is declining?  I wish it were true.

Then, to add insult to injury, at the end of the article, Bailey is
listing some of Tennessee's wonderful biological diversity, and
mentions boars!!  Another non-native animal that is actively reducing
native diversity.  If this is what "wildlife experts" write in a
magazine, it's no wonder that we suffer the environmental woes we do.

Ok, the soapbox is now free to the next bellyacher...

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)