[TN-Bird] TOS Winter Weekend Birding, Feb. 6-8.

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 21:18:32 -0500

TN-birders,

I just wanted to remind all of the TN-bird readers about the TOS winter Birding
Weekend at Paris Landing in a couple of weeks. Gaynell Perry, president of the
Memphis TOS chapter, put together the following information about the weekend.
At these meetings, there is no formal TOS business meeting, although we may
discuss ongoing issues at times. Just good folks and lots of great birding in a
great birding area of our state!

Please note that people are encouraged to bring some of your favorite “nibbles”
and drinks for the Friday evening social and Saturday, after an evening dinner
somewhere. Last year we had so much good food that we didn’t even go out for
Saturday dinner! More time for chatting with friends and laughing our butts off!

Come join us!

Ron Hoff
President, TOS

TOS will have a winter birding fun weekend Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday
February 6, 7, and 8, at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge.  Hope you can
join us!

In addition to all the winter waterfowl viewing locations, we’ll also tour the
new NWR visitor center which is filled with educational displays including an
"aerial survey" of refuge waterfowl, a night sounds theater, an extensive North
American waterfowl taxidermy collection, a gallery of Junior Duck Stamp winning
entries and private donation of hand carved shorebird and waterfowl decoys, and
even an interactive refuge manager game.  The Friends of Tennessee NWR gift
shop is stocked with all the latest field guides and gadgets. The building uses
green technology to help lower costs and protect the environment. Solar panels
line the roof and heating and cooling are accomplished with the help of a
geothermal system which incorporates 6 miles of underground pipes filled with
an antifreeze solution using the natural temperature of the ground instead of a
compressor.

Joan Stevens, NWR Educator, will be our hostess and guide as we explore.

NWR Visitor Center  Open Mon - Sat; 8:00 - 4:00  (So you may visit Fri and/or
Sat.)

1371 Wildlife Drive, Springville, TN 38256

(731) 642-2091   Email: joan_stevens@xxxxxxx

Admission is free; donations are always welcome!

Driving directions: from U.S. 79, between the town of Paris and Paris Landing
State Park, turn on to Oak Grove Road South. From there it's a 7-mile drive
(follow directional signs). ***Please note:  The road is new, so it may not yet
appear on all GPS maps.***

Friday evening social: state park lodge parlor room - bring your fave hors
d’oeuvre & bev

Saturday morning meeting time and place: to be announced

Saturday evening social: same as Friday

No formal meeting is planned.

Lodging options:  the state park will be our headquarters.

Paris Landing State Park Inn (13 miles from TN NWR visitor center)
$59.95/night - code 5957 through Dec 23; free continental breakfast 6:30 a.m.;
lunch plate $7.95; dinner buffet seafood Fri $15.95; Sat barbecue $12.95;
complimentary parlor room

Quality Inn, 1510 East Wood Street, Paris, (11 miles from TN NWR visitor
center);  double queen or king $67.50 through Jan 6; free hot full breakfast
6:00 a.m.

Restaurant options in Paris:

http://www.paristnchamber.com/business/search.php?BName=restaurants&Type=Search&Opt=Bus&Submit1.x=-936&Submit1.y=-57&Submit1=Submit