[TN-Bird] Re: TOS Winter Meeting Field Trip Sightings

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TNBIRDS <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:22:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

The Sunday trip to Yuchi yeilded the following (sorry it's in the
"old" card format).  This includes birds seen during the drive, and
also birds seen when the last 6 of us went to Hiwassee to look for
that blasted crane - which we found!

Just like Saturday, we saw lots of raptors on Sunday.  And the number
of Sandhill Cranes we saw at Yuchi, all of which were flying north,
made me think that there couldn't be many left at Hiwassee.  But when
we got there, we discovered that there were still thousands!

Thanks so much to Jean Alexander, David Johnson, Danny Gaddy, Wallace
Coffee, Rack Cross, and especialy Dan and Laurie Mooney for putting
this all together.

See you all in May in Memphis.  Is it too early to put in an order
for Western Kingbird, and Scissortailed Flycatcher?

Charlie

Double Crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Bufflehead
Mallard
Ring-necked Duck
Red-tailed Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Northern Harrier (diving on a Red-tailed Hawk)
Merlin (seen within seconds of the harrier/red-tail interaction)
Cooper's Hawk
American Kestrel
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Sandhill Crane
Whooping Crane
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Rock Pigeon
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
American Crow
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-brested Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Hermit Thrush
Northern Mockingbird
American Pipit (at least 100.  Some pretty close, through a scope)
European Starling
Northern Cardinal
Dark-eyed Junco
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow (at least one person had this as a lifer, through a
scope)
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark

--- Dan and Laurie Mooney <birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Despite less than ideal weather conditons the field trips for the
> winter meeting went great.  Thanks again to Daniel Moss, Charlie
> Muise and Wallace Coffey for leading us.
> I do not have the results of the Sunday field trip to Yuchi, but
> the Staturday Yuchi trip as well as the Saturday and Sunday
> Hiawassee trips are compiled below.  Thanks to directions from
> Jimmy Wilkerson several of us got brown-headed nuthatch and
> Eurasian collared dove in Dayton today!
>
> Listed in order of the new 'prototype' of the state card.
>
> Canada Goose
> Wood Duck
> Gadwall
> Black Duck
> Redhead
> Ring-necked Duck
> Lesser Scaup
> Bufflehead
> Hooded Merganser
> Rudy Duck
> Northern Bobwhite
> Great Blue Heron
> Great Egret
> Black Vulture
> Turkey Vulture
> Bald Eagle
> Northern Harrier
> Sharp-shinned Hawk
> Cooper's Hawk
> Red-shouldered Hawk
> Red-tailed Hawk
> American Kestrel
> Merlin
> Sandhill Crane
> Whooping Crane (not on the state list, and not listable, but we saw
> it!)
> Killdeer
> Peep species
> Bonaparte's Gull
> Ring-billed Gull
> Rock Pigeon
> Eurasian Collard Dove
> Morning Dove
> Belted-kingfisher
> Red-bellied Woodpecker
> Downey Woodpecker
> Northern Flicker
> Pileated Woodpecker
> Eastern Phoebe
> Blue jay
> American Crow
> Carolina Chickadee
> Tufted Titmouse
> Brown-headed Nuthatch
> Carolina Wren
> Winter Wren
> Golden-crowned Kinglet
> Eastern Bluebird
> Hermit Thrush
> American Robin
> Northern Mockingbird
> Brown Thrasher
> European Starling
> American Pipit
> Cedar Waxwing
> Yellow-rumped Warbler
> Eastern Towhee
> Field Sparrow
> Fox Sparrow
> Song Sparrow
> Swamp Sparrow
> White-throated Sparrow
> White-crowned Sparrow
> Dark-eyed Junco
> Northern Cardinal
> [...]

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson