[TN-Bird] TOS SPRING MEETING Sightings Reports 26 & 27 April, Memphis South and North Wastewater treatment Plants

  • From: "John Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'richard preston'" <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 21:43:40 -0500

Sorry for this late post. I was waiting for input from several sources on
the different trips.
Saturday and Sunday trips to the lagoon areas proved very fruitful for
all.Some of the numbers may still be off a bit.

Location:     TN, Stiles Wastewater Treatment Plant

Observation date:     4/27/08

Notes:     TOS Spring Meeting Sunday Morning hike. Jay Walko, Chuck
Nicholson, Allen Trently, Tony King, Ed Lagrange, Jerry and Edge Wade and
Winston & Katherine Walden. Blk-necked Stilts have doubled in numbers. Lower
flooded areas still holding a number of birds and the upper settling ponds
are starting to hold many more birds. Many starting to guard favorite nest
areas. Cloudy with little drizzle at times. Tall fields of grass holding
alot of birds.

Number of species:     32

Canada Goose     7

Mallard     11

Blue-winged Teal     50

Pied-billed Grebe     1

Great Blue Heron     2

Great Egret     2

American Coot     3

Killdeer     20

Black-necked Stilt     100

Solitary Sandpiper     17

Lesser Yellowlegs     19

Least Sandpiper     40

Pectoral Sandpiper     6

Rock Pigeon     5

Mourning Dove     7

Chimney Swift     4

Horned Lark     3

Tree Swallow     X

Northern Rough-winged Swallow     X

Bank Swallow     X

Cliff Swallow     X

Barn Swallow     X

Eastern Bluebird     4

Northern Mockingbird     2

European Starling     X

Savannah Sparrow     14

Indigo Bunting     3

Dickcissel     3

Bobolink     3

Red-winged Blackbird     X

Eastern Meadowlark     7

Common Grackle     X

Gray Catbird  1

Location:     TN 2 Mem, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex

Observation date:     4/27/08

Notes:     TOS Spring Mtg Sunday Morning Hike. Jay Walko, Chuck Nicholson,
Richard Conners, Allen Trently, Tony King, Ed Lagrande, Jerry & Edge Wade,
Winston & Katherine Walden, Jerry Ingles & Irma Holmes. Early morning hike
to find what we could find. Met Jeff Wilson on the levee's as he was birding
most of the morning there. Since it had rained a little before we got there
and the main levee's were already wet & known to be un-drivable I led the
group to the new holding pond where alot of birds were seen yesterday. Jeff
Wilson was up on the new Levee with a better view than we had from the
gravel Rd. yesterday. We parked several of the cars and carpooled the rest
up the levee to Jeff's vantage point. Great view of the entire pond and
behind us we had another flooded area. Same good birds from yesterday and in
good numbers if not more. Rain became more persistant and we had to bail off
the levee. Only one vehicle had problems as it hit the slick sheet of mud at
the bottom of the levee. No problem though it was a Jeep! Migration in full
swing here at the pits same group of birds sitting since yesterday with some
better numbers flying in and out of the more common travelers.

Number of species:     33

Sora  1     (Several heard it call from behind us as we scoped the
shorebirds from top of levee)

Canada Goose     9

Mallard     12

Blue-winged Teal     25

Northern Shoveler     8

Ruddy Duck     2

American Coot     7

Killdeer     6

Black-necked Stilt     35

Spotted Sandpiper     2

Solitary Sandpiper     19

Willet     7

Lesser Yellowlegs     55

Western Sandpiper     4

Least Sandpiper     18

Pectoral Sandpiper     7

Short-billed Dowitcher     5

Long-billed Dowitcher     30

Mourning Dove     12

Chimney Swift     3

Fish Crow     4

Purple Martin     5

Barn Swallow     5

Northern Mockingbird     3

European Starling     X

Yellow Warbler     1

Song Sparrow     11

Savannah Sparrow     6

Bobolink     10

Red-winged Blackbird     X

Eastern Meadowlark     7

Common Grackle     X

Brown-headed Cowbird     X

Location:     TN 2 Mem, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex

Observation date:     4/26/08

Notes:     TOS Spring Mtg Hike. Jay Walko, Scott Somershoe (TWRA State
Ornithologist), Ed Lagrande, Carol Gorbert, Sue ....., Patti......Late
morning hike to find what we could find. Met Jeff Wilson on the levee's as
he was birding most of the morning there. Ms Kites actually seen flying at
the intersection of of Jackson & Danny Thomas during our return trip to
Millington. Last nights storm front (and rain) brought a lot of birds in.
Black-necked Stilts have doubled their numbers since yesterday. A new
holding pond is pretty shallow with rain water and had an enormous variety
of birds in great numbers. Half of the Willets were huddled together and
sleeping as were both species of Dowitchers. Some lone birds out and about
feeding. Main levee between pits 4 & 5 un-passable as last nights rain made
about 3 inches of mud under the car. We were able to walk along the grass
edge to make it to pit five to observe from a distance. Limited pictures at
http://www.pbase.com/jwalko/tosmtgbirds  report being generated as a
preliminary report to allow the other birders to help in report. Will update
later in week.

Number of species:     44

Canada Goose     11

Mallard     9