[TN-Bird] TN-MS

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:13:07 -0500 (EST)

Dec. 10, 2011
Shelby Co. TN
Tunica Co. MS

Lots of waterfowl moving in but best treat of the day,  three Otters
playing in TVA Lake. The first trip by the pond, I noted the birds  all in a
tight
circle and acting funny and then I noticed the troop of clowns  herding
them around. Usually I see only one, three was even better.

Sparrow habitat at the "Pits" is near perfect and I'm looking  for an odd
ball in the mix but 9 sparrow species will keep you busy; best birds  were
LeConte's and Lincoln's. Western Meadowlarks in one pod of 6  birds jumped up
by a Harrier and nice photos of an adult and an  immature Krider's plus
rufous morph calurus among the Red-tailed Hawks.  Killdeer, 28 Least Sandpipers
and a Dunlin made the shorebird list.

The waterfowl numbers are reaching winter levels at Robco  but the best
bird was an adult female COMMON MERGANSER and lots of gulls to  look through.

Tunica Co, MS has more bird species to search through  than I've seen in
many seasons. Geese, raptors and Laplands in almost  uncountable numbers were
everywhere. Best birds were; 1st year Lesser Black-b  and Thayer's Gulls,
multiple Krider's, dark and light morph calurus  and Harlan's Red-tails.
Other treats were Western Meadowlark's,  Sandhill Cranes and Short-eared Owls.
Searching sparrow pods would  be a weeks work in itself. Arkabutla Lake
levels have risen to cover all  the flats so most of the gulls are roosting in
the far back reaches of the  area and ducks are in the back southeast corner.

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135
_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_ (http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.