[TN-Bird] TN-Birds highly ranked among thousands of lists.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:26:45 -0500

TN-Birders:
Freelists' ListRank is a means of determining the relative quality of a mailing
list like TN-Birds Net.  Freelist is the group which provides our list system
for TN-Birds Net.  It's a convenient way of ordering lists in search results
and category listings with the added benefit of putting mailing lists that are
obviously useless (abandoned, never used, etc.) at the bottom of those results.

Several criteria are considered when building a list's ListRank, such as the
percentage of subscribers who participate in discussions, the age of the list,
etc.

TN-Birds Net ranks fourth among all lists in the Freelist Science Category with
a List Rank score of 68.  It is among the highest rated of the 3,000+ lists
hosted by FreeList.

At this writing TN-Birds net has 514 suscribers.  An amazing 61 percent  of you
contribute to the list.  Collectively, you have posted 8,904 message to
TN-Birds Net since it began on Freelist four years ago on Feb. 1, 2002.

Our subscriber base has grown 20% since Apr 28, 2004.  We are up 9.08 percent
since April 2005.

The constant flow of new subscribers coming to the list makes it increasingly
important that we operate a fully-informative and friendly list with no insider
messages, codes and abbreviations not recognized by everyone.

Thanks to the hundreds of you who, time after time, for thousands of posts,
work hard to include all the needed information in every post.  You make this
list the national example and leader in quality that it has become.

We must always remember the vast amount of data gathered from TN-Birds Net by
state, federal and local agencies as well as college and universities, museums
and conservation agencies.

Birders in Tennessee have been posting about bird observations in Tennessee
since August 1995 when we began our first list -- formerly known as Valley
Birds Net.  Many of you were subscribed to that list and probably still have
fond memories. You probably also well remember when the National Audubon
Society in New York  provided the computer servers for TN-Birds.  We have long
been among the first such state lists operated in the South.

Since that time, our lists have posted more than 20,000 messages.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Moderator TN-Birds Net
Tennessee Ornithological Society