[TN-Bird] Re: [TN-Bird] Re: Wood Stork @ Duck River

  • From: "dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lydap@xxxxxxxxxxx,"jwalk821@xxxxxxxxxxx" <jwalk821@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:29:55 -0400

You can contact Clayton Ferrell at the refuge if you would like, but I suspect
the banding is done. It is worth checking pools 1 and 2 during the day as it
has been seen there, but it is hit or miss. Good luck.

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 14:04:17 -0500
Subject: [TN-Bird] Wood Stork @ Duck River
From: jwalk821@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks to some directions from Ruben Stoll, my dad, my brother, and I refound
the Wood Stork at TN NWR - Duck River  unit in Humphreys County yesterday
(8-23-14). It seems like the most reliable way to see the bird is by waiting
for it at its roost at the pump station. Walk the pump station levee for
approximately two miles until you reach the first gravel road on the left. Take
this gravel road for about two hundred yards for the best view of the egret
roost in the cypresses on the right. The bird showed up at 7:35 PM, coming in
low to the water from the left. If you never saw the bird fly in, definitely
scan the egret flock. While your chances of seeing this bird here are almost
certain, the bad thing is that even with brisk walking you'll arrive back in
the parking lot at dark.
Other birds of note:57 Caspian Terns11 Forster's Terns1 Sandhill Crane (blue
goose loop)5 Spotted Sandpipers3 Solitary Sandpipers1 Snowy Egret (flyover in
main refuge area)good numbers of swallows including Bank, Tree, Barn, and N.
Rough-winged Swallows and Purple Martin.
Chloe WalkerMurfreesboro, TN