[TN-Bird] TN NWR - All Units, Potential for Flooding

  • From: "wodu1440 tds.net" <wodu1440@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:09:41 -0500

Due to major flooding on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers the Corps of
Engineers can restrict the outflow of Kentucky Lake.  For this reason
Kentucky Lake is gradually rising and is already a little over a foot above
summer pool.  Unless we get heavy rains within the TN Valley this rise
may take a week or two to eventually cause flooding and thus road closures
on all three units.  It is of course all dependent on continued prolonged
flooding on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers and local rainfall during that
period.  I would advise anyone planning to travel a long distance to bird
on any of the units to either call ahead or check the river levels.  There
is a river gauge located near the Busseltown (Perryville) and Duck River
Units (Johnsonville) but not Big Sandy.  Probably road closures at
Busseltown will occur at around 363',  364.0' for Duck River.  Not sure of
exact levels at Big Sandy.  Pace Pt. probably floods around 362 - 363'.

Here is a link to the TVA lake level at midnight including the 3 day
prediction.      http://www.tva.gov/river/elevations.htm
Here is a link to actual level at Johnsonville.
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ohx&gage=njnt1
and Perryville
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=meg&gage=prvt1

Clayton Ferrell